Facebook is making its own digital currency

How do you think it will affect other digital currencies?
Will it increase awareness and Accessibility to cryptocurrencies world?
Will it make other cryptos irrelevant and redundant?
Is it good or bad news for the GoodDollar project?
I am not sure I have the answers.
We would really Like to read what you think about it.

1 Like

I think it’s one more step towards mass adoption.

2 Likes

The entrance of the giant tech companies is an inevitable step in the evolution of pretty much everything in this world…

This was just a matter of time.

The real question is how the decentralization would be treated and maintained once the big players are in the game.

2 Likes

Maybe GoodDollar should pitch the “minting by UBI framework” to Zuckerberg.
Then we have 2 Billion users on day one and he could put his wallet where his mouth is

1 Like

Sounds so easy :-p

1 Like

For now, as we see the rally of the bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, it looks like if the community embraces the coming of the Libra.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a sign of “embracing”. People are speculating on BTC because there’s a rumor that it’s going to rally because of Libra…

1 Like

Aaaaaaaaaand… It’s announced!

2 Likes

From what I have seen it looks as a global payment network. The main problem I wait to see is how much will it be abused. But I hope it will help to bring awareness and reduce massively the costs of payments solutions to enable international micro-paiements. So in a way it could help people earning more in some countries to support people earning less in other countries.
Let’s try to scale the adoption.

2 Likes

Interesting take Bertrand!
“How much it will be abused” - a bit pessimistic perhaps? At this point maybe we could still cling to “WHETHER it would be abused”? :slight_smile:

Hi Bertrand, It is interesting how you think it could help people earning more in some countries to support people earning less in other countries. Is it something that arises from what they wrote or ist something that you think of

1 Like

Thank you for your optimism, usually I am optimistic person but it’s already wrote in the whitepaper that they make the system public to let anybody track and report what can be thought as one abuse.
I don’t know any system which hasn’t been abused, if you know one then let me know.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, I have not seen explicitly explained in the white paper but it’s what I hope could happen when international micropayment will cost nearly zero fee.
That’s my optimistic part after my pessimistic part about expected abuse of the system.
If at least dirty people could help poor people then in some way it may clean it a bit.
I guess you may feel that too naive but as John Lennon said in his song Imagine : I am a dreamer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool, let’s focus on the full half of the glass

1 Like